Friday, May 14, 2010

A Pretty Penny


I have my own organic garden (I really do) so I don't frequent the Slow Food market that was recently launched in Merida but you should. You can read all about it here. It has become popular with the expats and beyond. It's half way between the Mega Balcones and Costco so you can at least do all of your shopping in the same neighborhood. It is on Saturdays from 9-1. If you are going south of calle 60 turn right on calle 31 and go a couple of blocks. There is a photo of the entrance and some of the products on this blog . And you can read the comments and see I'm not the only one questioning the prices.

I'm sure there is an excellent reason by the bread at this market cost as much as the bread at Balthazar Bakery in New York or Poilane in Paris but I've not figured it out yet. If I were sitting there in the heat from 9 to 1 behind my tomatoes, beets and swiss chard I'd be asking a pretty penny too!

UPDATE DEC. 1, 2010 Now I am addicted to the sour dough bread and the bread and butter pickles from Slow Food Market, alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment